Crews at the fire station were pleasantly surprised today when some visitors dropped off a veritable lunch feast. At first we didn’t recognize our new friends baring delicious goodies but that’s because the last time we interacted with Charles he was trapped in the vehicle pictured above. We are so glad to see him and his son up and around after their horrific crash on November 24th. Charles sustained a burst fracture of the L5 vertebrae and some fractured ribs but is up walking around and recovering nicely. Firefighter/EMT Balanti and Firefighter/Medic Price were working the hydraulic tools that extricated Charles that afternoon.
Photos courtesy: Company 5
This afternoon Truck 4 was dispatched to a routine elevator rescue at a local office building located on the campus of Forbes Hospital. As C-41 and Truck 4 were arriving on scene they were updated that a fire alarm was now activating in the building and an odor of smoke was present. C-41 immediately updated the assignment while T4 went to work investigating the source while simultaneously extricating the occupant from the stalled elevator. During this operation additional information was obtained that an adjacent building was also having an issue with an odor of smoke and a partial power outage. The incoming assignment was split and units diverted to investigate the second building. After investigating it was determined that there was a massive power surge in the area that caused these conditions to a total of three buildings. All buildings were investigated and cleared then turned over to maintenance personnel.
Units: Truck 4, Truck 5, Engine 61, Engine 12, Quint 1, Command 32, Medic 49, Medic 58, Medic 69
Command: C-41 (Bacco)
Yesterday, just before 2 pm, an Engine was requested to assist Plum Fire Department on the PA Turnpike for a reported garbage truck on fire at the 53 MM Eastbound. E41 and Tanker 5 responded and extinguished the blazing contents after the truck dumped the load of recyclables on the side of the road.
This weekend, Members attended a class taught by retired FDNY Battalion Chief Billy Hines of Task Force 1 Fire Training titled; “Big Box Store Fires: Strategies and Tactics.” The two day course was held at the Gateway High School Auditorium. Members of all 5 Monroeville Fire Departments attended, as well as Firefighters from PA, West Virginia, and Virginia. This great class enhanced our knowledge of firefighting tactics in large commercial spaces, which we have an abundance of in our response areas. We participated in several scenarios using computer simulations of fires in popular buildings throughout Monroeville. Thanks to Gateway School District, Chief Hines, Chief Beltz and Members from Station 1 for coordinating and working behind the scenes to make this a successful and valuable training for all.
This evening, all Monroeville Fire Companies participated in a charity dinner held at fire house #6. The event was to raise money for two charities: “The Spirit of Christmas” and “Santa’s Kids”. The event was hosted by Bill Hillgrove, the voice of The Pittsburgh Steelers, Pitt Football, and Pitt Basketball, as well as Monroeville Councilman Jim Johns. Each Monroeville Fire Company presented a check for $500 that will be used to buy gifts for less fortunate children in the Eastern suburbs of Pittsburgh.
Between Friday evening and Saturday afternoon the area received more than 8 inches of snow relating to the mammoth storm named Jonas. This is nothing compared to places like Deep Creek, MD and Champion, PA where they saw over 40 inches of snow accumulation. In all, Company 4 only responded to 15 calls during the 24 hour event.
Friday was another busy day at the ‘Big House’. Truck 4 and Engine 41 crews started their day at 0630 with a smell of smoke inside a bank within District 1. Units had just cleared from this call and were not even off the scene when they were dispatched to a reported residential structure fire in the 4th District that, unfortunately, turned out to be fatal. The Truck crew cleared this call after about 60 minutes and responded to a fire alarm activation in the first due while Engine 41 remained on scene for a couple hours to assist the investigators. Once all crews were back in station, it was time to clean up from the fire, get some lunch and get the apparatus ready for the approaching snow storm.
As the weekend approaches there is a chance that our area may side-step the worst of an incoming storm. Latest forecasts are calling for 3 – 6 inches of snow between Friday afternoon and Saturday night. Northern Virginia and the D.C. Metro area are bracing for up to 3 feet of snow. If the Pittsburgh area sees more accumulation that expected, please do your part to help the Fire Department help you! If you have a fire hydrant on or around your property, remove excess snow so we can easily access the connections in case of a fire. In the meantime, stay vigilant and keep safe.
Overnight, Truck 4 responded to a house full of smoke and a duplex on fire. Just after 0100 hours, T4 was dispatched to District 1 for a house full of smoke. Upon investigation it was determined that the furnace had malfunctioned and sent smoke pouring throughout the residence. Power to the furnace was isolated and the house was ventilated. Then just before 0300 hours the Truck was being dispatched to a working fire being reported by Wilmerding Police. A vacant duplex was found to be well involved from the BRAVO side and Chief 306 was requesting T4 to the ALPHA side for aerial operations. Unfortunately, with the extremely icy conditions and the incline involved where the structure was located, T4 was unable to safely set up and operate. Crews eventually extinguished the fire without any issues or injuries.
Units: E306-1, T4, T283, E283, E229, E211, RE135, E230-1 (RIT), U161, (RIT), Medic 610 (Rehab)
Command: Chief 306 (T. Hartzell)
Early Sunday morning Companies were dispatched to a fire alarm activation at one of the local nursing homes. Upon investigation of first arriving units it was determined that there was a fire in the resident laundry room. This small room with a single washer and dryer is used by the residents for their personal clothing. A significant fire had occurred in the clothes dryer and had set off the sprinkler in that room. Crews were able to shut down the sprinkler system, overhaul the area and ventilate the affected wing of the building as facility staff kept patients safe and accommodated. Residents were able to be sheltered in place in another section of the three story facility during the incident and returned to their rooms within the hour.
Units: E-41, T-5, E-62, Q-1, SQ-1
Command: C-54 (J. Kennedy)